In this tutorial we will see how to configure an ODBC connection in Windows XP Operating System. We can connect to any database with an ODBC connection, on any computer in a network, till the ODBC connection is available.
Here are the steps to create an ODBC connection to a MS Access Database:
- Open the Administrative Tools icon in your Control Panel.
- Double-click on the Data Sources (ODBC) icon inside.
- ODBC Data Source Administrator screen will appear, Choose the System DSN tab.
- Click on Add in the System DSN tab.
- Create New Data Source Screen will appear, Select the Microsoft Access Driver. Click Finish.
- ODBC Microsoft Access Setup screen will appear, click Select to browse the database or you may also click on Create button to create a MS Access Database File.
- Give a Data Source Name (DSN) for the database.
- Click OK. You have configured ODBC connection for MS Access Database.
N.B: We should in mind that this configuration has to be done on the computer where your web site is located. If you are running Internet Information Server (IIS) on your own computer, the instructions above will work, but if your web site is located on a remote server, you have to have physical access to that server, or ask your web host to to set up a DSN for you to use.